The American Motorcyclist Association Congratulates Ryan Dungey on Successful Career
2017 AMA Supercross Champion Retires After Nine Professional AMA Titles
PICKERINGTON, Ohio — Newly crowned 2017 AMA Supercross Champion Ryan Dungey announced his formal retirement from motorcycle racing today at Angel Stadium in Anaheim, Calif., just 10 days after the conclusion of the 2017 AMA Supercross Championship.
“The American Motorcyclist Association congratulates Ryan Dungey on his incredible racing success and thanks him for his many years as an outstanding member of the AMA,” said AMA President and CEO Rob Dingman. “Ryan is truly one of the rare talents who rise to the top in motorcycle racing and maintains that excellence for an entire career.”
During his 11-year professional racing career, Dungey claimed eight AMA National Championships and 92 AMA career wins, including four national titles in AMA Supercross and four titles in AMA Pro Motocross in the 250cc and 450cc classes. Dungey also won the 2009 Western Regional 250 SX title.
In 2010, he was honored as the AMA Athlete of the Year after winning the AMA Supercross title and the 450 AMA Motocross title in his rookie year in both classes.
In international competition, he was a member of three world championship Motocross of Nations teams for the United States.
In his amateur career, Dungey won an AMA National Championship at Loretta Lynn’s Ranch in 2005 and took home countless other wins at AMA featured and major events.
Dungey’s accomplishments in AMA-sanctioned competition include:
• 2005 AMA Amateur National Champion – 12-15 Youth
• 2009 AMA Supercross Western Regional 250SX Class Champion
• 2009 Lucas Oil Pro Motocross 250 Class Champion
• 2009 Member of World Champion U.S. Motocross of Nations team
• 2010 AMA/FIM Supercross World Champion
• 2010 Lucas Oil Pro Motocross 450 Class Champion
• 2010 Member of World Champion U.S. Motocross of Nations team
• 2010 AMA Athlete of the Year
• 2011 Member of World Champion U.S. Motocross of Nations team
• 2012 Lucas Oil Pro Motocross 450 Class Champion
• 2015 AMA/FIM Supercross World Champion
• 2015 Lucas Oil Pro Motocross 450 Class Champion
• 2016 AMA/FIM Supercross World Champion
• 2017 AMA/FIM Supercross World Champion
• 92 Career AMA Wins (combined 250cc and 450cc in supercross and motocross)
About the American Motorcyclist Association
Founded in 1924, the AMA is a not-for-profit member-based association whose mission is to promote the motorcycle lifestyle and protect the future of motorcycling. As the world’s largest motorcycling rights and event sanctioning organization, the AMA advocates for riders’ interests at all levels of government and sanctions thousands of competition and recreational events every year. The AMA also provides money-saving discounts on products and services for its members. Through the AMA Motorcycle Hall of Fame in Pickerington, Ohio, the AMA honors the heroes and heritage of motorcycling. For more information, visit www.americanmotorcyclist.com.
Not a member? Join the AMA today: www.americanmotorcyclist.com/membership/join